What is the “Rental Registration Program”?
On December 19, 2007, Baltimore County Council Bill 87-07 was passed requiring that all buildings or a portion of a building that contain one to six dwelling units, intended, or designed to be rented, leased, let or be hired out to be occupied for living purposes be registered and licensed with Baltimore County.
Purpose – To establish a licensing program in the county in order to create an additional procedure for the enforcement of county codes and regulations
• to protect and
• to promote public safety, health and welfare.
This program is a County Council initiative that started as a pilot program in certain neighborhoods and has grown, by vote of the Council, to cover the entire County on February 3, 2008.
Some of the items checked for:
• carbon monoxide alarms
• smoke detectors
• electrical system
• all plumbing – functional
• windows are operational
• proper ventilation of all combustion appliances (furnace, hot water heater, dryer
• secondary means of escape from sleeping areas
• no exterior safety hazards